Friday, June 24, 2011

Hummus Among Us- Black Bean Hummus



The other day I was talking to a lovely woman from Lebanon and naturally we were soon talking about food. She is such a genteel soul, one of those people who are classy without ever trying, but she was clearly, in the most ladylike manner, disgusted with me for not making my hummus by first soaking the dry garbanzos, then cooking, etc. She assured me several times that it is easy to do, which I'm sure it is, but she's retired with no children at home and sets her own schedule in life. I go with canned garbanzos. Except for this recipe, which I've had forever and of course do not remember where I got it. I suspect it came from a magazine. An Internet search revealed countless sites with the exact recipe so I'm not sure to whom I should give the attribution.


You need:



1 - 15 oz can black beans, drained, reserve the liquid
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 - 2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp tahini
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
fresh cilantro, to taste, optional


OK now, pay very close attention to these complex instructions:



Put everyting in a blender and whirl to consistency you like. Use the reserved juice from the beans to thin if needed.



Whew! Now sit down and take a break before you go receive rave reviews from your dining companions.


This recipe doesn't make much as you can see by the photo- one lunch for two or three (or just me but those black beans kill me the rest of the day). I generally serve this in a pita pocket with lettuce, tomatoes, cukes, etc. or in a Flat Out, though the hummus tends to squirt out the bottom if you're not careful. It's also good as a dip with some nice whole grain crackers or some veggies. Oh, you know what to do with hummus. Go get you some and enjoy.




Thanks for stopping by today. I really appreciate you visiting The Jungle.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy... I have been on a huge hummus kick for the past week this is right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete