Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fused Glass Luminaria


I was finally able to spend some time with the glass again. I've been foolin' around with fused glass for about a year now but have not been able to get down to the shop since school let out for the summer.




 This project is a candle luminaria. It is made with specialty glass and frit (crushed glass) and then fused and slumped.



 When you place a candle behind the luminaria, it creates a lovely glow. This piece started life on an 8-inch round glass  as an exercise in cutting curves. Once it was fused I didn't know what to do with it. So I set the round piece on an 8-inch square, edged it with the glass spaghettis noodles, put round button beads in each corner, and filled the corner spaces with more frit. Once it was fused again and then slumped it had a nice scalloped edge which I think looks nice with the motion and curves of the "flames".



 I've given away most of the other items I've made or the photos that I have of them are not of very good quality. But I do have a few to share with you.




This panel is of a quilt block called Flying Geese. Mom's Christmas present last year.




 Ohio Star quilt block. I'm not crazy about the glass hangers that the girls at the shop told me I should make but maybe these are just too big. This one went to my mother-in-law.




Blue panel made using strips of glass. This one I kept.




Necklaces for co-workers.



 

Flower garden pendant for my sister.




Something colorful for Chrysalis.


Fused glass is funny. When it fails, it fails horribly. But when it's done well, it is thrilling.

So that's all for today, thanks for taking a peek.

1 comment:

  1. Lour Luminaria is stunning! You should be very proud of this effort. I hope you will be making more.

    ReplyDelete